I have been a lazy sh*t lately.
Really just when it comes to cooking, but still.
It has been months since I tried my hand at a new dish (seriously this was the last dish I made)… so I’m pretty proud of myself for pulling it together for a night and making this delicious roasted lemon asparagus recipe. It takes next to no time to make and its the perfect dish to serve all summer long!
Growing up, we never really ate asparagus (my mother preferred to torture us with brussels sprouts). As a result, it’s only been quite recently that I’ve gotten into the vegetable. And by “gotten into” I mean “figured out dozens of different ways to prepare it because I ate it every night for two weeks”.
You know, the usual.
But really though: this roasted lemon asparagus recipe was by far my favorite of all of my asparagus creations. I even made this dish for a recent dinner party – every single one of my friends asked me for the recipe (and were all shocked when I told them it only takes 5 minutes of prep work!).
It’s kind of the perfect easy summer side dish for a busy weeknight… or even for a big dinner party. Keep reading for the full recipe.
This has been my absolute favorite healthy dish to make lately... and I just know it'll be so good all summer long. BTW, for a slightly different taste, try mixing 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder in with the salt and pepper (also great with za'atar for a more Middle Eastern feel!).
- 1 bunch thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 lemons
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place aluminum foil on a baking dish and spray lightly with cooking spray. Make sure that there's more than enough aluminum foil and do not fold the foil to the dish.
- Place the bunch of asparagus in the center of the aluminum foil and spread the asparagus out.
- Cut one lemon into quarters and cut the other lemon into rounds. Using the lemon quarters, cover the asparagus with lemon juice (more is better).
- Season with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper and place the lemon rounds all over the asparagus (they should just lay on top of the asparagus as it cooks).
- Fold the aluminum foil around the asparagus until it closes. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the roasted lemon asparagus from the oven and serve hot.