In case the title of this post didn’t give it away, today’s my birthday! My 27th birthday, to be exact. So that should explain the unusual Sunday blog post.
In celebration of the big 2-7, I thought I’d share (a) this fabulous embroidered white maxi dress and (b) 27 fun facts about myself. Because today’s all about me. And Easter for some of you. But mostly, it’s about me.
What I’m Wearing:
Dress: Chicwish, c/o (under $75!) / Belt: similar / Purse: similar / Shoes: BP. (under $75!)
Sunglasses: BP. / Earrings: Lilly Pulitzer, old (similar) / Rings: BaubleBar
So first this dress. It’s an embroidered white maxi dress (I recommend wearing this slip underneath) and it’d be perfect for Cinco de Mayo celebrations next month. If you ditch the belt, it has an elastic waist… making it perfect for downing queso and tequila in the most absurd of quantities.
Which is really how I want to live my life.
Just give me all of the queso.
In fact, last night, to kick off the birthday celebrations, my friends and I went for a very queso-filled dinner at Mr. Mesero, followed by all of the karaoke and dancing at San Francisco Rose. Today, I’m doing brunch with my girlfriends at one of the new restaurants in Uptown (I’ll report back tomorrow!). And then probably spending the rest of the day doing work (ew) while watching my favorite operas and movies.
And now that we’re fully on the me-train, I thought I’d share 27 fun facts about me with y’all. I know a lot of you are new to Glitter & Spice (welcome!) or just might not know all of my weirdnesses (there are many), so I hope you enjoy getting to know me a little bit:
27 Fun Facts About Me:
- I’ve been to four of the seven continents. After next month’s trip to Asia, I’ll only have two continents left: South America and Antartica.
- I studied engineering in undergrad at Cornell University. It was very cold.
- Glitter & Spice is actually my third blog. My first blog was a comedy lifestyle blog when I was in college and my second one was about cooking and restaurants in Austin right after I graduated undergrad.
- My bat mitzvah party was Harry Potter-themed. And it was amazing.
- I’m currently getting my MBA at SMU in Dallas, with concentrations in Strategy and Marketing. I’m planning on going into consulting after I graduate next year.
- Before I was 21, I had never used a stove or oven. I had a roommate in college who was a food and beverage concentration in the Hotel School at Cornell, and she took it as a personal insult that I didn’t know how to cook at all. She’s basically the reason why I can cook now.
- I’m a super nerd (in case #4 didn’t give that away!): I own a lightsaber and a Chewbacca backpack. And I watch Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter all on a regular basis.
- I read all of the A Song of Ice and Fire books (the Game of Thrones books) in one week. Yes, that’s over 5,000 pages.
- Despite my nerdy nature, my favorite movie is The Sound of Music.
- Keeping with the movie theme: I’m a huge fan of Disney and I know almost every song from every animated Disney movie by heart.
- Also: I’ve been to Disney World twice within the past year.
- I trained as a classical singer while growing up and I performed in Vienna, Munich, and Amsterdam.
- I was a member of Tri-Delta in college (any other Deltas out there??).
- If you want to make me cry, just turn on a video of an opera singer performing “Nessun Dorma” from Turandot. For some weird reason, I cry every time I see that song performed.
- I was in Israel while they were at war in 2014. Despite having to use the bomb shelters, it’s still one of the best trips of my life.
- I’m a natural blonde (well, strawberry blonde).
- I love history… particularly European history. The Tudor era is my jam most of all; I will read or watch almost anything if it is about medieval or renaissance England.
- My whole life, I’ve found ancient religions fascinating. As a child, I read almanacs about Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Nordic mythologies. So now I’m basically the queen of fun facts / trivia.
- Tea > Coffee. No questions asked.
- I was once robbed by a monkey while on safari in Tanzania. Well, it stole my mints. And then passed them out to all of its monkey friends.
- I am not very coordinated (and that’s an understatement!). In fact, in college, I was permanently removed from a Zumba class because I was deemed a danger to myself and others (I fell down and took like five people down with me).
- More on the above: I’ve broken over five bones (several of those occurred within the past five years). My personal favorite: I broke my arm by tripping over my other foot.
- I’m currently training to do a pushup. Yup, you read that right: just one. And it requires training.
- Because I was so accident-prone / allergic to everything, I had to be more of an indoor human while growing up. As a result, my dad taught me how to build computers when I was around five years old. To this day, I’m tech support for almost all of my friends.
- I taught myself HTML while in elementary school. And I built a [hilariously awful] website about my family tree.
- My love of wine is super real. I’ve been to Napa Valley three times in the past two years and I have over 30 bottles of red wine in my apartment at all times. Oh, and I took a class about wine in college.
- I am probably one of the most decisive people you’ll ever meet… except when it comes to food. I have the hardest time choosing what to order at a restaurant and I basically have a mental breakdown weighing all of the options every time somebody asks me what my favorite food is.